When looking to purchase or rent property in Ghana, it is important to do your research to find a real estate agent with a proven track record of satisfied clients. Given the large financial commitment and importance of securing ideal housing, clients should evaluate factors such as years in business, closed transactions, area specialization, client reviews and testimonials, awards and recognitions, and professional certifications when selecting an agent.
Assessing Years in Business and Number of Closed Transactions
The first items clients should examine are the number of years the real estate professional or agency has been in business as well as the number of closed buyer and seller transactions during that time.
- Generally, five or more years of experience indicates greater familiarity with the local market, pricing and negotiation tactics, marketing strategies, and network of industry contacts.
- Check credentials such as membership level in the Ghana Real Estate Professionals Association (GREPA) which often corresponds with experience.
- Request client references from recent transactions as well as longer-term clients to assess satisfaction across relationships.
Along with longevity, evaluate the agent or brokerage’s sales volume which serves as evidence of productivity:
- Higher annual transaction volume suggests seasoned experience guiding various deal types to close across different market conditions.
- Volume indicates the capability of handling client needs at scale rather than relying solely on a few referrals.
- Be attentive to trends year-over-year – are transactions declining or concentrated among a single property type? Steady or growing numbers are better signals.
Verifying Area Specialization and Local Expertise
Location, Location, Location
The adage in real estate emphasizes the importance of comparable area sales in pricing and positioning listings competitively. Given significant variance even block-to-block, specialized location familiarity is key.
- Seek out real estate professionals with deep ties and transaction history concentrated within the neighbourhoods or districts of interest.
- Local expertise spanning market ups and downs builds an understanding of pricing nuances.
- Area specialization also strengthens agent relationships with title companies, lenders, home inspectors, and other professionals to facilitate smoother transactions.
Evaluate how ingrained agents are within the communities through parameters such as:
- What percentage of business comes from referrals vs. self-generated leads? Higher referral levels signal experience and trust.
- Request testimonials from past clients, neighbourhood groups, developers, contractors, lenders, attorneys, and other industry players.
- Search online reviews and community forum references. Positive sentiment and tone regarding communication, transparency, and competency are ideal.
Checking Credibility Through Certifications and Awards
While experience measures tenure, professional certifications and awards showcase ongoing commitment to education and customer service excellence. Savvy clients should confirm credibility by asking questions like:
Has the Agent Invested in Training?
- Verify completion of recognized certification programs such as the Real Estate Institute of Ghana (REIG), Realtor Institute (RI), Accredited Buyers Representative (ABR), Seniors Real Estate Specialist (SRES), and Short Sales and Foreclosure Resource (SFR).
- Contributing instructors for such programs are also positive indicators given extensive topic mastery certification is required.
- Check affiliations with prominent industry groups like the Ghana Real Estate Professionals Association (GREPA) which upholds ethical business practices.
Is the Company Committed to Service Quality?
Look for signs of distinction regarding client care such as:
- Awards programs like the Ghana Real Estate Professionals Association Quality Service Program track agent ratings and reviews to spotlight exceptional professionals based on customer evaluation criteria.
- Similarly, check company recognition for categories like communication, responsiveness, or negotiating skills through the annual Ghana Real Estate Agent Awards for example.
- Repeat and referral business metrics also signal positive experiences.
Researching Online Reviews and Client Testimonials
In the Internet age, the collective online sentiment of past buyers and sellers provides invaluable insight. Be thorough by:
- Evaluating both the breadth of reviews across multiple platforms as well as favourable consistency in the content itself
- Prioritizing recency – does sentiment correlate to currently active agents within the brokerage?
- Weigh negative commentary in the context of the overall tone as well as against reasonable expectations – some criticism is inevitable even for talented teams
- Checking that positive reviewer names, specific properties, and relevant transaction details are cited to confirm the authenticity
Assessing Review Patterns
Analyze when assessing reviews:
- Number of reviews – Higher volumes indicate more customer experience typically
- Star ratings or percentages – Sites may calculate composite scores from individual ratings
- Attributes evaluated – Responsiveness, negotiation capabilities, reliability etc.
- General sentiment and descriptors
- Mention of referrals or repeat business
Alongside public facing reviews, request a representative sample of buyer and seller testimonials directly from the agent for context such as:
- Evaluation commentary – Detail around service components deemed satisfactory
- Reference specifics – Names, properties, sale dates corroborate transactions
- Demographic diversity – A mix of client profiles demonstrates versatility
- Customized marketing samples showcase the ability to match unique property characteristics with buyer pools
Choosing the Best Agent Match
When examining multiple real estate agents or agencies, keep these best practices in mind:
- Verify licenses are active with no infractions through Ghana Real Estate Authority searches
- Gauge chemistry – an agent relationship often lasts for months so ensure a personality fit
- Quiz listing processes – from preparing your home to open houses to estimating offers
- Ask direct questions about experience with complex transactions, luxury listings, distressed properties, first-time buyers etc. based on your scenario
At the end of the day relationships drive the real estate experience, so select professionals who demonstrate authenticity, honesty, reliability, accountability, and commitment to your best interests.
Working With a Market Leader – VAAL Ghana
As a premier real estate developer and brokerage in Accra, VAAL Ghana possesses an exceptional track record, deep community ties, and top-rated agents to meet demand for high-quality housing in prime locations.
VAAL brings together innovative design with intelligent living across residential spaces tailored for modern Ghanaian lifestyles. Signature amenities like gyms, zen gardens and more cultivate sanctuary-like tranquillity amid urban vitality.
Project Showcase – Harmonia Residence
The firm’s newest development, Harmonia Residence, in sought-after Airport West, epitomizes these principles. With striking architecture, 1-5 bedroom unfurnished units and penthouses, rooftop lounge, and retail spaces. Harmonia Residence balances purpose-built practicality with indulgent luxury.
VAAL Ghana draws on extensive local construction expertise and data-backed area analytics to match residents with units suiting their preferences. The team handles viewings, purchase negotiations, interior specifications, and move-in coordination for stress-free transactions and beyond through individualized client service and trusted partners.
With a growing portfolio across Accra and adjoining regions, VAAL continues to earn outstanding testimonials for design vision, development rigour, and devotion throughout ownership journeys. The firm stands ready to make Harmonia Residence the unmatched new centrepiece of Airport West living. Schedule an on-site tour today to experience VAAL hospitality firsthand.
Frequently Asked Questions
What is the average timeline to build and sell out a development like Harmonia Residences?
For the development, historical precedent suggests an approximate 2-year timeline from groundbreaking through final closed sales dependent on market conditions. VAAL Ghana applies extensive planning on the front end to accelerate construction based on confirmed buyer deposits and intentional phase move-ins to activate the community.
How does VAAL vet potential buyers from inquiry to confirmed sale?
VAAL agents qualify buyers through documented financial assessments as well as background checks before matching clients with available inventory. Extensive filtering weeds out investors merely speculating to focus efforts on motivated candidates more likely to close. Approvals require total unit price deposit guarantees.
What after-sales services can buyers expect?
VAAL remains invested long after sales through proprietary mobile apps facilitating seamless maintenance requests, event bookings, visitor entry, payments, and two-way feedback. A dedicated lifestyle manager also coordinates group activities like fitness meetups, Holiday fairs, and pop-up markets to sustain the community.
Can specific unit layouts or interior customizations be arranged?
While buyers select from preset floorplans and included finishes, VAAL welcomes certain accommodation requests in line with structural regulations. Buyers work directly with our design team to personalize their residences through beyond-standard upgrades where viable pre-occupancy.